We have to be able to learn from our mistakes, make meaning of varying and ever-changing situations, but do you ever take time to consider why this is so important? Reflection is the process of stepping back or pausing from the action and asking ourselves a few questions. What is happening? Why is it happening? What does this mean? What can I learn from this? One thing that has stuck with me over time is the idea that if we do not take time to reflect and ask ourselves the questions above, did what we experienced really happen?
There are so many ways to experience reflection. I think sometimes we are worried we will get into our own heads too much… none of us want that because it is a scary place to be! Reflection can be discussing a process for a group intentionally or considering successes and challenges. To reflect is to be deliberate with our thoughts. We can go deeper and consider our feelings and emotions, or it might be reminding ourselves of a goal. It could be journaling what happened during the day or specific event, taking quiet time before bed to process what we accomplished or how we chose to live out our values. It might be answering some specific questions to help us ponder something obscure.
No matter the form, reflection is important for focus and growth. Reflection feeds the mind, soul, and heart. Reflection is an investment in yourself…aren’t you worth it? “Give yourself permission to be who you are.” – Jen Sincero, You Are a Badass
It doesn’t have to be hard…start where you are and go from there. Start today using these prompts:
· Think of something that is currently troubling you. Write about it. Don’t try to solve it, just get out your thoughts.
· What is something new you learned today? How did it make you feel? Write about it.
· Write down your most daring dream. What does it feel like to put it out into the world?
· “If you ever find yourself in the wrong story, leave.” – Mo Willems What is something you wish you could leave behind?
· Sit silently for 10 minutes. Just focus on breathing. Take inventory of what pops into your head during this time. Why is this what is popping up? What do you need to do about it?